Monday, March 1, 2010

Thoughts on the Bipartisan White House Summit

When I told my wife that in my English persuasive writing class I was being given extra credit to watch the debate on health care she supported me...until after the first hour of the debate, I told her that I was going to continue watching the next 5+ hours for two reasons: first I was extremely intrigued with the debate; second I wanted to get the full maximum extra credit possible.
I did not realize how damaging health care is to our nation's people. Thirty million people are without health insurance in the united states. Because I don't make very much money as a full-time student, I qualify for government aid. But families who make a tiny bit more than I do, don't qualify for government aid and find it extremely difficult to pay their premiums or even find insurance. Another issue I was unaware of was the fact that insurance companies are able to drop clients whenever they want. No one regulates their moves. Individuals with preexisting conditions such as asthma, cleft pallets, cancer, diabetes, etc., are left uninsured and unaccepted. They have no where to go for help. Small businesses are laying off their employees because their premiums are too high.
Obama wants to give every American the same opportunity he himself has for insurance. He says that because he is a federal employee, he along with all the other federal employees are apart of a pool. This pool makes insurance very affordable because there are so many people participating. His bill will mandate Americans to take up insurance and be apart of pools that drive insurance prices down. Senator Dick Durbin D-Illinois said that we pay $2 1/2 trillion on health care a year. "As you lose accountability for the doctors and hospitals, more people die." 98,000 people a year die of medical malpractice.
Sen. Jay Rockefeller D-West Virginia said that the health insurance agency is the shark that swims just below the water. And you don't see that shark until you feel the teeth of the shark. Every single person is entitled to a lawyer but not every single person is entitled to a doctor. It was mentioned that the united states does not discriminate, but health insurance companies do. They charge women more money, they charge the elderly more money, they also charge races differently.
I agreed with both parties on many of their debates, but I failed to hear one thing. No one mentioned what is working in health care. Government needs to focus on what is working, they need to listen (using the stethoscope analogy) and not tear down what is working in health care. They need to fix what isn't working. In doing this, they will have a better chance of solving this tragedy instead of having one party run right through the other party and establishing unconstitutional mandates.

3 comments:

  1. Louise Slaughter D- New York mentioned that an elderly woman could not afford health insurance, so after her sister passed away, this elderly woman began using her dead sister's dentures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you said at the end. I have struggled with this health care debate realizing that both sides have strong points and there does need to be a reform because there are things that don't work but that doesn't mean nothing works and we need a complete reform. Why don't they ever talk about what works well? maybe then we can find something both parties agree on and go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad... sad... just plain sad. let's hope the government can figure this out soon!

    ReplyDelete